Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall entertaining

Stuffed Pork Chops, seasonal roasted veggies, mashed potatoes and peanut butter chocolate chip pie.


So a lot of things going on in this post but this is the dinner menu I put together for a little get-together we had last night. Josh and I invited over some friends of ours who are very recently married and I wanted to have some nice food that fit into the season to serve to them. This seemed to fit.

Stuffed pork chops:

I started with 6 thick cut pork chops, mine were 1.5 in thick, boneless. You could use bone in. Would add a little more flavor, the butcher just did not have any when I was there.  I brine the pork, as it tends to dry out easily.

Brine:

½ cup granulated sugar

½ cup salt

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1tsp ground black pepper

Dissolve all of the above in about 1.5-2 liters of water (enough to cover your pork chops)

I let the pork brine overnight (in the fridge). About 12 hours.


Stuffing:

I used pre-cut stuffing cubes (my way of cheating) about 2 cups

½ cup celery finely diced

½ cup onion finely diced

1/8 cup dried cranberries chopped

½ gala apple finely diced

1 teaspoon olive oil

I sauté celery, onion, cranberries and apple in the olive oil until cooked down. Then I add about 1-1.5 cups of chicken stock. I usually have my own on hand, but pre-packaged works. If you use pre-packaged I suggest the low sodium. Warm this in the pan and then add to the stuffing cubes. Stir until all stuffing is moistened.

Cut slit in the middle of pork chops… almost, but not all the way through. Just to make a pocket to stuff. Add about ½ cup stuffing per pork chop and then secure pork chop with 2 toothpicks to make sure the stuffing does not fall out. Repeat will all pork chops. Season the outside of all pork chops with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to taste.

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large sauté pan, place pork chops in pan and caramelize outside of chops until golden brown on both sides. Then transfer to a baking dish, cover with foil. Place in 350 degree oven for 15-20 min to finish cooking. Remove from oven and serve.

Mashed potatoes

So mashed potatoes are easy and some people may criticize me for even putting this on my blog, but I have gotten texts from multiple people in the past asking me how to make “real” mashed potatoes and not just the ones out of the box. Really easy… Please stay away from the boxed flakes.

2-3 lbs of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed to similar sized pieces

Boil potatoes for 25-30 min until fork inserted comes out easily and they seem very tender. Then drain potatoes in a colander.  Place potatoes back in pot you cooked them in. Add 4 tbsp butter and allow to melt from the heat of the potatoes. Mash potatoes with potato masher. If you do not have a masher, then you can use a hand mixer to whip your potatoes instead. You can then add milk to your potatoes until the consistency you desire. I personally prefer sour cream, for the tanginess and for the consistency. I have recently replaced my sour cream with Greek yogurt which is great too. I add about a cup to get the consistency I desire. I then add about 2-3 tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder and about 2 tsp ground black pepper. This can all be changed to how you want your potatoes to taste. Make them the way you want them, not the way I want them. I crave garlic, you may not.


Roasted seasonal veggies:

Super easy. I chose what was in season.

Butternut squash – 1 squash cut into chunks of about the same size (peeled and de-seeded)

Carrots – about 1-1.5 lbs, cut into chunks of about the same size

Cauliflower – 1 head cut up

Zucchini – 3 medium sized cut into chunks of about the same size

I tossed all the veggies in olive oil and salt, pepper and thyme. Then I roasted the butternut squash and carrots for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then added the cauliflower and zucchini and continued to roast at 350 degrees for another 20-25 minutes until all veggies were soft. Then they were ready to serve. One of the easiest side dishes I have made, but super delicious if you like veggies.

Peanut butter chocolate chip pie:

Crust:

1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 stick butter melted

3 tbsp granulated sugar

Mix all ingredients and press into a 9 in pie plate to form a pie crust. (or cheat and buy a 9 in graham cracker crumb pie crust)

Filling:

1 cup peanut butter

½ cup powdered sugar

1 - 8oz packaged cream cheese softened

Mix above ingredients until combined, set aside.



1 pint heavy whipping cream

1 tbsp vanilla extract

¼ cup powdered sugar (or a little more depending on your taste and how sweet you prefer it)

Mix whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar and whip until you form stiff peaks. Once you have formed whipped cream you can combine with peanut butter mixture. Start by adding 1/3 whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture and mix together. Then add second 1/3 of whipped cream to peanut butter mixture and fold in slowly to keep light and fluffy. Add last 1/3 of whipped cream to peanut butter mixture and fold in slowly to keep light and fluffy. Finally add ½ bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to mixture. Mix until combined, place in previously made pie crust and put in fridge for 2+hrs to harden prior to eating. I usually make this pie the night before I serve it that way I don’t have to worry about desert the day of, and it is nice and firm the day it is served. I have also frozen this before and it is delicious that way too.

Hope you enjoy these recipes. A little taste of fall. As always, if you have questions feel free to email or post comments.
Going to sleep now... 100 pumpkin cupcakes to make this weekend for the girls' school for their halloween party on Monday. Pumpkin cupcakes are one of my favorite. Probably because they have cream cheese frosting... I do make a mean cream cheese frosing :)
Happy Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment