Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pulled Pork and Beer Bread

Pulled pork and beer bread


So we don’t have a smoker… I do feel that true pulled pork is smoked but unfortunately I don’t feel like spending the money on a smoker so I use my crock pot. The longer you cook your pork shoulder the more tender and easier to pull it will be.  I prefer bone in pork shoulder because you get the extra flavor out of the bone as you cook. Bone out is fine too and I know many people prefer this.

Pork shoulder – 3-4 lbs (I trim this to get rid of the excess fat… I’m not a fan of pork fat)

Brine:
Enough cool water to cover your pork shoulder
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup salt
1 tbsp black pepper ground or 10 whole peppercorns
2-3 tbsp of my dry rub

I will give you the recipe for my dry rub if you keep reading. I put the pork shoulder in the brine for overnight. Brining helps ensure juicy meat (especially if you smoke your pork and don’t cook it in the crockpot.)

Dry Rub:
½ cup kosher salt
2 tbsp paprika (can be plain or hot… I prefer Hungarian hot paprika)
1 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp ground black pepper

The morning after the shoulder has brined I take it out and pat it off. Then I apply my dry rub liberally and let it set for a couple hrs. During that time I prepare the juice I cook the meat in.

Cooking liquid:
2 – 12oz cans or bottles of beer (your choice, we had yuengling in the house)
Enough hot water to cover the pork shoulder
2-3 tbsp of the leftover dry rub
2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp of liquid smoke
1 yellow onion diced

I put the rubbed shoulder in the liquid in the crockpot and let it cook for 6-7 hrs. Usually on high for 3-4 hrs then down on low for the rest of the day. If I know I am going to be gone for 12+ hrs then I will just leave it on low the entire time. If I only have 4-5 hrs, I cook it on high the entire time. Basically cook it until it falls apart, or is very easy to pull apart. I usually drench it in barbeque sauce, whatever your favorite is or if you prefer to make your own. Today we are having it with homemade coleslaw, baked beans and beer bread.



Beer Bread:

This is a super simple beer bread recipe. It’s mildly sweet bread but goes great with the pulled pork. It isn’t a typical, let it rise type recipe so your loaf looks rustic when coming out but it tastes amazing.
3 cups self rising flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
1- 12 oz can or bottle of beer (the heavier the beer the more flavor, we again used yuenling)

Mix the flour, salt and sugar together, add the beer and mix until combined. The dough will be sticky. Prepare a loaf pan (butter and flour) or use a baking spray so it does not stick. Then bake at 375 degrees for 50-55 minutes depending on your oven. When I pull the loaf from the oven I brush it with a little melted butter.


Pulled pork is traditionally smoked, but if you are like me and just don’t have a smoker at this time you can still enjoy it. I think that the beer bread compliments it well with the bit of sweetness. If you have any questions about these recipes or are looking for any others, email me and let me know. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment